The Great Googlization

Alphabet's Takeover of Everything

Google (or Alphabet more specifically) has become a quietly important set of facets in our lives. From looking up random facts to helping with research papers (Shhh don't tell anyone I said that.) Google has dominated not only our main way of surfing the internet but many other integral parts of our lives. 
Before we get started I'd like to thank our gracious Google overlords for allowing this post on their most wonderful blogging website.           (I couldn't help myself) 

Am I addicted?

Personally, I barely watch TV anymore. I spend most of my video consumption time watching let's plays and a plethora of other nerdy videos on YouTube. While I don't mind using Bing for pointless things (mostly because it's the default on Edge and I'm too lazy to change it) I always turn to Google for its simple search results... and those cool pieces of art on interesting days. Those are awesome. I use Google Drive to transfer files between devices, and Google Photos to back up pictures from my phone. So yes... yes I am addicted.

Are we addicted?

Most people I know, myself included, don't say 'do a search'... they say 'Google it'.
If I had to answer the question on whether or not we're addicted to Google. I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I don't know what I (and most people I know) would do if I suddenly didn't have access to just those four websites I mentioned and they have so many more

Privacy issues?

On the bright side, I feel like the fact that Google has essentially infiltrated our lives doesn't put our privacy at any more risk than if it was a dozen companies taking the same spot. If anything we have that many fewer companies to worry about selling our information. Who are they going to sell it to? Themselves? Besides, most of the information they get their hands on is essentially the equivalent of a Best Buy employee following you around like a hawk to answer any questions you have about the computer you're looking at. (Seriously Best Buy, give a girl some space would you?)

Do we have independence?

Ehhhhhhh... There is always the concern of such an overarching company pulling strings in certain ways so you view certain things. To that, I'd say yes, it's a major concern. A concern I don't really have a solution to. I've seen just how different search results can be between two people of differing interests and political views. Where on one hand I really like that when I type Halo into the search box I get Halo the video game and not Halo by BeyoncĂ©, it leads to an even greater polarization in our political views.
If a Republican searches Mexico in their Google search bar, they'll get articles about why we need a wall.
If a Democrat searches Mexico in their Google search bar, they'll get articles about why we don't need a wall.
There is no middle ground, and like I said I don't know how to fix this. It's problems like this and a few others that make me kinda wish Google simply added on to their old motto of "Don't be evil" instead of changing it so it would be, "Don't be evil, do the right thing." Seems more appropriate since real life has so many grey areas. Gotta cover all your bases. 



Comments

Popular Posts