Fake News and The End

Fake News


As discussed in the video, Singapore might be instituting a very broad anti-fake news bill. The question posed by the prompt, should the US adopt something similar has a fairly straight forward answer for me.

ABSOLUTELY NOT, hard pass, do not cross the yellow line. Fake news might be a problem but as soon as you have laws that have ambiguous lines like “remove comments that go against ‘common interest’,” you just have to say abso-freaking-lutely no. You can’t have a government agency decide what is true or not, that just invites corruption. The information, whether incorrect or true, must be allowed to be viewed by the people where they can make their own decisions therein.

The text quote from Simon Milner points out the same issue. “… the aspect of the law that grants broad powers to the Singapore executive branch to compel us to remove content they deem to be false.” I support making it easier to see where information is coming from. I support asking Facebook to make that information easier to see, maybe before even the header. I DO NOT support any restrictions on what people can or cannot post, create, or comment. Not only does it violate the First Amendment thirteen ways from Tuesday, it’s also just a really dumb idea.

Ha ha! That's two shorter posts! I guess this time it's because I don’t see a lot of need to debate the issue. It just a no from me.



~The End~ 
Have a great summer! I really enjoyed this class. :D

Comments

Popular Posts